Alan L. Agnelli
                                            Justice of the Peace 

Marriage Requirements

Couples planning to be married in Massachusetts are required to obtain a marriage license.  Both parties must appear together at any Massachusetts City or Town Clerk's Office and a valid photo ID is required by most. Each party must be at least 18 years of age. If under the age of 18, you must obtain a court order from a probate or district court.  Because Massachusetts mandates a 3-day waiting period from the date the Marriage Intention is filed, couples are strongly encouraged to apply for their license about one month before the wedding. The three-day waiting period can only be waived with a court order. The Intention is valid for 60 days from the date you file (not from when you pick up your marriage license). Your license can be used to marry in any city or town within the Commonwealth of Massachusetts.  Massachusetts no longer requires a blood test.

In addition, Massachusetts does not require witnesses to be present for your marriage to be legal. The Officiant is sufficient. Couples should be aware that a Justice of the Peace or other officiant cannot solemnize a marriage without a valid marriage license. It is the couple's responsibility to apply for and obtain a marriage license in a timely manner.

Once I pronounce the couple married, I will complete the Marriage License and return it within two days to the city or town clerk that issued the License. You can then obtain a Marriage Certificate only from the city or town clerk's office that issued you the Marriage License. I recommend that when you pick up your Marriage License before the wedding day, you inquire about the fee structure and process for obtaining certified copies of your Marriage Certificate, as each city and town has its own fee structure and process.
Website Builder